"dignity"

About: Royal Albert Edward Infirmary

my father was admitted on the 14/03/2014. after being left on a bed in A&E for 5 hours. he informed me that he had asked twice to go to the toilet, he needed his stoma bag emptying, no one had been to take him. I asked a further 3 times as his stoma was ready for bursting. eventually a sister came told my husband to take him to the toilet. I think this is disgraceful. my dad is 83 years old and suffers from bowel and prostrate cancer, I know staff are busy, but I wonder how they would feel if it was one of their parents.

Response from Susan Heighway, Patient Relations / PALS Manager , Patient Relations / PALS, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your posting. I am sorry to hear of your concerns in respect of your father’s recent attendance to A&E. Your concerns have been shared with the Head of Nursing for Medicine who found your account to be very upsetting. She would like to extend her sincere apologies and has asked that you contact the Patient Relations Department, at the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary, Wigan, to discuss these issues further so that we can fully investigate your concerns and provide you with an outcome of our actions.