"Cataract operation at Wharfedale hospital"

About: Wharfedale Hospital / Ophthalmology

I was pleased that this cataract operation took place at the Wharfedale hospital and that I did not have to go into Leeds General Infirmary, as I live very close to the hospital.

In 4 visits to the hospital, I only saw the consultant once - as a pair of eyes over a mask! I realise he was very busy, but I would have liked to see him after the operation, as I still have a few questions to ask. The registrar I saw was very pleasant, but did not really give me an opportunity to ask these questions.

Fortunately, I was the first person to go into the operating theatre that day. There were 6 other patients there at the same time as me, some of whom must have had a very long wait for their turn. We were warned beforehand that we may be at the hospital for up to 6 hours, but it seemed a bit much to have these elderly people waiting around like that. I felt I was very lucky to be the first to be dealt with!

Response from Patient and Public Involvement Lead, Leeds PCT

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Wharfedale Hospital. I am sorry that you didn't get the opportunity to speak to the consultant.

I shall pass these comments and your comments about the appointments system to the Patient Relations Manager at the hospital.