"Following a cycling accident I ..."

About: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital

Following a cycling accident I was taken to A&E. Within 6 hours of my tumble I was operated on. I spent 48 hours as an inpatient before being discharged home. Throughout my experience, from the casualty dept through to the ward, I was treated with dignity and respect, was fully involved in decisions about my care and knew what was happening at every stage. Staff were supportive and compassionate and had the time for the small things that make big differences (ice cubes!). They were extremely busy but still extremely kind. As a nurse, albeit in mental health, I was having a new experience. Whilst the word enjoyable is not appropriate, a traumatic time was made easier by the care I received. That care has continued since, in the shape of outpatient care and physiotherapy. I am making steady progress and am in charge of that progress. I have been treated as a sensible and informed person in charge of their own recovery. Thank you to everyone I have met over the last 4 months.

Response from Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital

Thanks very much for your kind comments. Glad to hear you are on the mend. We've passed your feedback on the Matron for A&E.