"Very kind nurses after a rocky start!"

About: Basildon University Hospital

I was admitted into the respiratory ward after an asthma attack. I found the staff on AMU very rude and unhelpful they did not call a doctor when my breathing got worse I got very distressed and was told to "stop coughing" by a nurse. I was also told I was having a "panic attack" this wasn't true. I insisted that I needed a doctor, I had ABGs and I was acidotic, I was transferred to the HUD on Florence Nightingale ward. They were lovely. They were so helpful they went above and beyond what they should have done for me. I have been on that ward many times and I haven't thanked them enough for the care I have received. When I can't breath I'm grumpy. Thanks to the staff on Florence nightingale you do a great job.

Response from Basildon University Hospital

We are sorry to hear that your experience of care within AMU at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust wasn't satisfactory for you, however we are pleased that the staff on Florence Nightingale treated you well. Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experiences in both departments. We will share your comments, bith positive and negative with the relevant departments. Can we also encourage you to contact the Patient, Advice and Liaison Service on pals@btuh.nhs.uk or 01268 524900 ext 4441 should you wish to discuss your concerns further.