"Daughters first birth experience"

About: East Surrey Hospital

My daughter was having contractions five minutes apart at home when we tried to contact labour ward to let them know we were on our way it took us that long to get hold of labour ward by the time we did get hold of them her contractions were a minute apart so it was a mad dash there, we were told on phone to go to antinatal day care unit so that's what we did, she was left half an hour before a midwife came to see her. By 2am the midwife treating my daughter was concerned as because she was tired and struggling she phoned labour ward to find out about rupturing the last of her waters to speed up delivery, they came back with "no don't do that yet we are busy" so instead they gave her pethadine to help with pain and held her off until 8.30am when by that time she was 9cm dilated and ready to push. Apart from the one midwife my daughter was treated disgustingly, at one point one midwife came in to her cubicle and told her to keep the noise down as other expecting women were asleep so being in labour and in pain she had to bite blanket to prevent from making a noise. The delivery midwife was amazing but the next baby would definitely not be born at east surrey I have never been so disgusted.

Response from Maxine May, Communications Officer, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous

Maxine May

Communications Officer

Maxine.May@sash.nhs.uk

Response from East Surrey Hospital

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post your comments - I am so sorry that you felt both yours and your daughter's experience was not a positive one. I would like to escalate your concerns to our Head of Midwifery/Divisional Chief Nurse Midwifery - Michelle Cudjoe and she will contact you directly. In order for me to progress this further, please can you forward me your details, including your daughter's name and email/ contact number and I will ensure that I pass these on to Michelle as a matter of urgency. Kind regards Maxine May Communications Officer