"Great ITU terrible 9A"

About: Royal Sussex County Hospital

My mother was recently a patient at this hospital. She was admitted with a bowel issue and developed pneumonia early on in her stay. Due to the pneumonia she was transferred to the ITU and I cannot say enough about the excellence and professionalism of the staff on that unit. I live 4000 miles away so communication and plan of care was a big issue for me. The nurses on the ITU went above and beyond to give me all the information I wanted and needed, being a nurse myself this was of great importance and comfort to me. After a few days stay on the ITU she was transferred to ward 9A, here it was a different story. The communication was terrible, my questions could not be answered, and at one time a nurse told me she was too busy to answer my questions (this was after she had given me incorrect information about my mother). I questioned something she had said, and found out she was actually talking about a different patient, so this is when she told me she was too busy. I also understand from my mother her bathroom was not cleaned one day (and she potentially has C diff). I asked questions about her plan of care and discharge, none of which could be answered, or if they were the information was inconsistent or incorrect. At one point, I was told to contact the Doctor to get the questions answered, and then given an incorrect email address, again please remember I live 4000 miles away, you can imagine my frustrations!

Response from Royal Sussex County Hospital

Thank you for your comments.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please contact our PALS Team on 01273 664973 or by email at pals@bsuh.nhs.uk.

Patient Experience Team