"Appointment telephone system is a joke"

About: Cossham Hospital

I needed to contact the dermatology clinic that I attend at Cossham as I have been diagnosed with bowel cancer and need chemotherapy. I rang the number on my appointment letter (0117-3405249) and once deciding that it wasn't a change of appointment I chose the option zero for the operator. At that point I was cut off. Twice. I typed Cossham Hospital into a search engine, got this website and called the number listed (0117-3408400). I was dealt with helpfully and efficiently. However, this begs the question, why use a number on appointment letter that clearly doesn't work. My last visit in December was fine and I rated you highly. The staff I have had contact with have been efficient and courteous.

Response from Cossham Hospital

Dear Anonymous – thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Dermatology at Cossham Hospital. I am sorry that your experience of trying to contact the service was clearly frustrating, but pleased that eventually you were dealt with helpfully and efficiently. In preparation for the new hospital building at Southmead the telephone system for the Trust is being updated and I can only think the problems you experienced were related to this. I have referred your concerns to the Information Management and Technology Department to make sure the issue is resolved and that the no other patients have the same difficulties. Thank you again for your feedback. Kind Regards – Steve Sykes Advice and Complaints Team.