"Not a 24 Hour Service"

About: Western Eye Hospital

Although advertised as 24 hour it is not. Twice I have been advised to go away and come back at another time as the doctor on duty had only just gone for his break. When I mentioned that the service is advertised as 24 hour I was told that I can't expect a doctor not to have a break. He'd had a rough night and was only human and he would not be back on duty for approximately an hour and a half. I was expected to sit and wait in pain or go away and come back later, which is what the nurse advised me she would do. Its disgraceful. I attended early in the morning as I have spent hours waiting on other occasions but I was made to feel that I was asking for something unthinkable by visiting at that time. If it is advertised as 24 hours there should be staff to provide that service.

Response from Western Eye Hospital

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is concerned to read of your experience. The Western Eye does provide a 24 hour emergency service. It would be important to understand the situation and who was involved. We hope that you will contact out PALS services pals@imperial.nhs.uk so we can take your details and investigate this incident. We apologise for the distress your were caused.