"Staff attitude"

About: Claire House / Ashton & Golborne CMHT (Adults)

I In Feb I became distressed going to work and started having paranoid and suicidal

thoughts. When I got home I phoned the emergency number for the mental health team at Claire House. I tried to tell them I was feeling suicidal but I felt they became aggressive. They were shouting at me and being dismissive. I saw someone at Claire House a couple of weeks later but did not feel able to tell them I was still having suicidal thoughts because of what happened when I phoned.

Response from Katherine Earlam, PALS Officer, 5 Boroughs Partnership NHS Trust

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you felt that the person you spoke to was aggressive and dismissive. We make every effort to encourage our staff to treat every caller respectfully and take the time to listen with compassion and patience.

I will discuss your comments with the relevant team manager and ask that this be shared with the team in order to enable them to reflect upon how they deal with calls like yours in future. Please feel free to contact me directly via the number below if you would like to discuss your experience in more detail,

Cheryl Forrest, Matron, Adult Mental health Services, Wigan