"Not eligible for a wheelchair"

About: Bolton Wheelchair Services

The person who posted about having a long wait for a wheelchair. She is lucky she got one.

I was told because I can weight bear I am not eligible for a wheelchair. Thinking outside the box doesn't seem to be within the NHS's remit. I ended up having to go begging to charities and try to find a charity that assists adults. nearly virtually impossible.

I was thankfully lucky through searching online I managed to find a charity and I didn't wait 6 months to get the wheelchair either. I should not have had to go to these lengths where maintenance of the wheelchair could be down to the person and that is an extra huge expense. Again thankfully for me the charity is looking after the upkeep of the wheelchair of which I am extremely lucky as this is not the usual procedure.

I am also extremely grateful for as I had not seen their web page I would have been a recluse in my own home and a car standing outside that I would not have been able to use. Your wheelchair criteria should change and staff need to look at the whole picture other than what is presented before them.

Response from Heather Edwards, Head of Communications, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust

If you would like to contact the department, a member of the clinical team would be happy to discuss Bolton Wheelchair Service eligibility criteria with you.