"All treatment has been very good/excellent"

About: Royal Shrewsbury Hospital / Clinical oncology The Princess Royal Hospital / Clinical oncology

I was originally diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2005 and have received monitoring/treatment since then. I had a right mastectomy in June 2005 followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy and monitoring in 2006 to 2009 at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital and Princess Royal. Cancer activity resumed in 2010 and I had further chemo treatment.

Chemo treatment in July 2010 induced a mild heart attack and I was referred to Christie Hospital trials Unit in Manchester in August 2010.

I have since received 20 months of treatment of trial drug AUY922, have suffered side effects of peripheral blind spots. I am now on an alternative drug trial. I have been checked by my option in August 2013 when missed spots were 28/68 in left eye and 29/68 in right eye.

A six month follow up showed increases of 37/69 left eye and 43/68 right eye. Central vision remained unchanged and my spectacle prescription has not been changed. The peripheral blind spots create a gloomy vision which is worse under artificial lights.

My optician send a report to my GP and Christies Hospital recommending annual/bi-annual retinal photography. All treatment has been very good/excellent.

Response from Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us. I will certainly share your comments with the staff. Regards Patient Experience Team

Response from The Princess Royal Hospital

Thank you for your kind comments Di Davis Patient Advice and Liaison Service Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust