"Unhelpful Porter"

About: Ayr Hospital / Accident & Emergency

(as a carer),

My father had another admittance to A&E yesterday and whilst there was sent round to Xray.

His xray was done but 40 mins later we were still waiting on a porter to take his trolley back to A&E. A porter arrived and started to move a lady who was just out of xray and I asked if he knew if anyone was coming for us. The reply - 'I don't know hen am just a porter!' When people are feeling vulnerable, tired and emotional this was not very helpful and infact a bit rude it seemed to us.

When I spoke to xray staff they were very helpful and made another call for someone to come for us, so I thank them.

Dear Weenor,

How frustrating and upsetting to wait so long, not knowing what is happening and feeling (as you say) vulnerable, tired and emotional and I am sorry you were left feeling that way. It seems as if there are a couple of things here. Firstly, after a long wait someone else appeared to be taken back from X-ray before you, secondly the porter was not helpful and came across as rude. I do believe that a good hospital experience depends on everyone from porters to consultants because we remember the one poor link in the chain. I am also sure that sometimes we do not realise how our responses make you feel, so it is very important for this to be raised and we all learn from it.

On a plus side (as a Radiographer myself) I am glad we could go some way to redeeming ourselves and resolving the issue to get you taken back to A/E.

I will pass this on to the managers of the service and perhaps there is a way to improve the process to return patients on trolleys from x-ray and address the poor communication.

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention,

Eunice