"Chaos in the Breast Clinic"

About: North Middlesex Hospital

On 26.2.2014 I went to North Middlesex Hospital to receive the results of a biopsy to determine if I had breast cancer. My appointment was at 4.10 pm and the busy reception area was chaotic because the receptionist had left at 4 pm. The nurses couldn't find patients' notes, which were left in piles in the corridors for all to see. I was asked to wait in a corridor where there were not enough chairs so several people had to stand. No one seemed to know what they were doing. I'm sure I was not the only anxious person there and the disorganisation was very disturbing. When I was finally seen, after a 45 minute wait, on hearing that my results were benign, my first reaction was 'thank goodness I don't have to come back here again as I have no confidence in this hospital'. A modern building is not enough to provide a good service; without sufficient staffing levels professionals can not do their jobs properly. I hope this was just a one off event; I suspect not. I have tried giving this feedback on the hospital website but the system was not working so I have used this site.

Response from North Middlesex Hospital

So sorry to read about your experience in our breast clinic. Your valuable feedback has highlighted an area which we can improve upon. I am the manager for this area and would request that you email me, elizabeth.ball1@nhs.net to enable me to advise you how we intend to respond to your comments.