"Detached retina surgery and cataract surgery"

About: Southend Hospital

I was diagnosed with a detached retina on a late Saturday afternoon just before Christmas by my wonderful optician in Leigh. He arranged for me to be seen at The Eye Clinic immediately. The Consultant saw me as soon as I arrived, around 6 pm and after examining me arranged for a team to come in on Sunday morning at 9 am to operate. Everyone was brilliant. The operation took 90 mins and was successful. Unfortunately my eye had already got signs of a cataract forming and it is not unusual for this to mean that the cataract can grow much quicker. I subsequently attended the clinic a few times and eventually after a few weeks I was put on the list for a cataract operation to clear my vision. This operation only took 15 mins and the other 6 patients and I chatted amongs ourselves whilst waiting to be operated on. It was all very friendly and the staff offered us cups of tea and biscuits whilst waiting and again after each of us had had the operation. Follow up was excellent. I am still recovering as the trauma of two ops to my eye has caused pressure and an inflammation. I used the hotline to see a Consultant in between appointments for check ups as advised in the leaflet given after the cataract op and was seen within hours by the duty Consultant again the lovely Dr who has monitored the inflammation and pressure giving me different drops. I feel really well looked after and the staff have been really kind. Special thanks to the Dr.

Response from Southend Hospital

Many thanks for your feedback. I am pleased to read of your positive experiences with the team in the Eye Unit. I will make sure that your comments are passed on to them. I hope your eye is healing well and I would like to wish you well for the future. Steve McEwen Patient Experience Lead

Response from Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Carole

Steve McEwen