"Poor treatment at William Harvey Hospital"

About: William Harvey Hospital

I attended A&E at Canterbury hospital. I was suffering from severe back pain due to falling 14ft. After signing in at reception I was given a bed and attended to very quickly. The nurse that saw me believed there was a possibility that I had fractured my coccyx so wanted me to be x-rayed. As there is no one who can analyse the x-rays at Canterbury she rung William Harvey (WH) Hospital in Ashford and asked whether she could have my x-rayed at Canterbury, and have someone at WH analyse it. According to the nurse, they sayer they wanted to analyse me themselves. On arrival at WH, I told the receptionist about my injury, gave her my papers, but she said she needed to contact Canterbury. She told me to sit in the waiting room (on pretty much metal benches) and await instructions as she was going to find out why I had been sent there. After a while, she came off the phone and didn't come and see me. I waited about 15 minutes and went to ask what was going on, she just told me to take a seat. After over an hour of sitting in the waiting room and being in excruciating pain, I went to ask for something to sit on to relieve some pressure from my back. I was in tears from the pain and the receptionist told me "stop crying" and that it wasn't that bad I was "just in shock”. I didn’t receive anything to sit on. A while later, I asked the other receptionist if there was anywhere I could lay down, at least for a little while. He sent me to the sister, who seemed shocked that I hadn't been given a bed. After a while a doctor came into the room and asked who I was, and what I was doing in there as it was one of the beds she looks after and had no idea who I was. She went to go and find my files but came back and asked me a series of questions which suggested she didn't receive any information from Canterbury Hospital. I was then seen by another Doctor who examined me very quickly and not nearly as thoroughly as the nurse did in Canterbury. I was then told I needed an x-ray (which was why I was there in the first place). When given the diagnosis, the doctor said that he didn’t see a fracture, but there may be an abnormality and was going to send off the x-rays for a further analysis. On Friday 21st March I rung WH to just be updated as I was still in pain. I spoke to the x-ray department and the woman on the phone didn’t help me, she just kept repeating “you have to contact the person who referred you” and cutting me off. I then rung Canterbury and they said to contact my GP. They said they would chase my x-ray results. Today, I went in to my GP (UKC Medical Centre), they said there were no records of me attending WH according to WH’s records. After the Medical Centre doing alot of chasing and pestering people at both hospitals they managed to retrieve my notes. They have X-Rayed the Lumbar part of my spine, which is not where my injury is. I still have no idea what is wrong me. I am still in pain. I am having to see my GP tomorrow morning.

Thank you for providing us with feedback, and I am very sorry to read about your experience. I would like to investigate this for you, please do make contact via email on Julie.pearce1@nhs.net. I do hope that the pain settles down and you are able to make a full recovery from your accident.