"Great care from the psychiatric team when I need it most"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / General Psychiatry

(as a service user),

I get care for my bi-polar from Dr Lewis, who I think is great. Over the Christmas period, I get much worse, and have more episodes than at any other time. I have to have extra help over that time, and I need my medication dose increasing. I get excellent care from Dr Lewis, who has helped me to manage my condition better, and so I have been able to reduce my medication under his care.

This is my 4th year of care, and each year I get better and have reduced symptoms. Ayrshire and Arran are excellent. The CPN team come out to see me every few days over the Christmas period, to support me. If my wife or I need them, they will come at any point. They are fantastic, and we couldn't do it without them,

I don't find it necessary to use the CPN team during the rest of the year, but it's good to know that my wife or I could contact them at any point, if we needed to. It's so reassuring for us both that every year in November, an action plan is put in place for the coming Christmas period. I can't speak highly enough of everyone from the team who is involved.

Dear Sun42,

What wonderful feedback for all the team involved in your care. It is heartening that planning your care and planning in advance has been so helpful to you, your family and your management of your condition. This is a real example of good care, good communication and good planning. In order to make sure I can pass your praise directly to the team involved in your care, could you possibly email me or call me direct to confirm which area you live in? I think the Doctor you are referring to may be a GP and if this is correct, I know where to pass this on to, I would just want to double check this is correct.

Thank you so much for contacting us and sharing this with us.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Response from Derek Barron, Associate Nurse Director, Mental Health Services, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Dear Sun42

Thank you for your feedback, I will ensure this is passed on to our community Clinical Services Manager and to the CPNs themselves. I know they will appreciate the feedback and that you took the time to do it.

I'm glad our service are supportive and helpful in times of difficulty for you and you wife.

Derek