"Ridiculous wait at the Fracture Clinic"

About: Queen's Medical Centre

To give an appointment time to attend a clinic implies that you will be seen within a reasonable amount of time from the stated appointment that has been scheduled for you. My 'appointment' was at 9.30 this morning - I was not seen until 11.25. There was an announcement made at around 10.30am informing all waiting patients that the doctors were running around 1 hour behind, but clearly this was a gross under-estimation. Whilst I was waiting, the reception staff were firmly divided into 2 groups - very professional, helpful and friendly staff, and a couple of individuals who complained very loudly and repeatedly that a consultant doctor 'always does this' - presumably there had been more than 1 booking error. The lack of information about the delay was very frustrating, and the way that some of the reception staff conducted themselves was less than professional. A far cry away from the excellent experience I'd had at A&E.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, showing how we can make improvements to our service.

I am sorry to hear you did not have a good experience of waiting to be seen at the fracture clinic. As I am sure you are aware, this is a very busy service and unfortunately delays do occur. We do try and make every effort to keep patients updated with information about waiting times: I am sorry that in this case you felt the information you were given was not accurate in estimating how much time you would wait.

We are continuing to look at all possible solutions to cut waiting times in all our clinical services at Nottingham University Hospitals, and I will share your feedback with colleagues.

I am glad to hear that you found the majority of reception staff to be professional, helpful and friendly during your visit, however I was disappointed to hear of the attitude displayed by the particular individuals you describe in your comment. Such behaviour is not in keeping with the values and standards expected of all staff at NUH, and I will be making sure all reception staff are aware of this.

Thank you again for your comment.

Lin Taber