"Extremely poor at communication, organisation & clinical expertise is questionable"

About: Royal Orthopaedic Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

I was referred in November 2012 due to an exacerbation of spinal problems, of which there is a long history. I was offered an MRI but then there was no follow up so had to have it again. Then was eventually called for surgery with two days notice in April 2013, despite the recovery period being six weeks. Not being convinced about the advice and treatment, I saw another doctor who recommended a different treatment. This clearly upset the consultant who after keeping me waiting for 3 hours for my follow up appointment seemed in a hurry to get me out of the room as he had other patients to see. I was examined only as I insisted. I have had lots of contact with PALS and complaints team and am still waiting for a response, some 4 weeks on.

PALS, I have pre-empted your offer of "speaking to me personally" by forwarding my e-mail to Complaints to you and cc Complaints in. You have all my contact details there so it's clear who I am.

Response from Lisa Kealey, Public and Patient Relations Manager, Patient Experience Team, Royal Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

I am very sorry to learn that you have had a difficult time with your treatment. We have received two contacts requesting information from an individual which we believe may be you and have replied to both. We are not able to locate your patient records from the information in those e-mail so if you would like us to check if you have contacted the right hospital, please e-mail us again with your full name and date of birth, so that we can assist you.

Lisa Kealey