"Thank you to B4 nursing staff"

About: Rotherham Hospital / General surgery

I was recently admitted to Rotherham District General hospital to have my appendix removed. All the nursing staff on my ward (B4) were very attentive and respectful. They also gave a very high standard of care to all patients.

My only problem was that being on the emergency surgery list was very awkward. I wasn't given a time for surgery and did not get my surgery done until 2 days after admittance, which was very painful and also meant that keyhole surgery was no longer an option, thus making my recovery time longer. I believe that set times should be allocated for surgery, thereby letting patients know where they stand.

Thank you to all nursing staff on B4.

Response from PALS Co-ordinator, Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your kind comments about B4 nursing staff. Due to the nature of the ‘emergency theatre list’ patients potentially have to wait, if a more pressing emergency arises and needs to take priority. Without specific details, I am unable to say why this occurred but I would expect the medical and nursing staff to keep patients up to date with any changes, which appears not to have taken place in your case. I will discuss this with the surgical team.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss further. I can be contacted via the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01709 307646.

Jane Pearce, Matron for General Surgery and Urology