"How can people make money out of an already traumatic experience? "

About: Heartlands Hospital / General medicine

We live in Wales and do not pay for hospital parking or prescriptions. While visiting a relative, I found the amount you have to pay for parking extortionate. We paid £4.80 each time we parked. All I can say for people that need to see patients on a regular basis it must cost a fortune. How can people make money out of an already traumatic experience?

Could I add that my wife's disabled and it's not only the fact you still have to pay but the amount charged seems unreasonable to me. To make this kind of money from visitors coming to see sick relatives is in my opinion immoral.

Response from Iona Belgrove, Patient Services Manager, Heart Of England NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Katiemoore

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to Patient Opinion regarding your concern about the trust charging all patients for car parking.

I take onboard your comments that in Wales, you are exempt from paying car parking and prescription charges. Unfortunately this is not the case in England. I have discussed this subject with the Chief Executive, who informed me that the Trust Disability Forum voted that disabled and able bodied should be treated equally; unless they are on certain benefits.

Best wishes

• katiemoore doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful

Update posted by katiemoore (a relative)

Dear Iona

Many thanks for your reply and in most cases, I do agree that disability should not be used for any excuse to not pay for something.

My main concern however was the seemingly extortionate cost that all people have to pay to park at your hospitals given the reason they are there in the first place.