"Parking charges"

About: Wansbeck Hospital

My friend was involved in a motorcycle accident on 3rd March 2014. We called an ambulance who arrived promptly. He suffered a suspected dislocated shoulder and was taken to Wansbeck General hospital. I followed the ambulance and on arrival parked in front of the A&E entrance. I then rushed into A&E to enquire about my friend and see if I could be of any assistance. This was in the evening when it was very dark .To be honest my main priority was my friend. From the initial prognosis I thought it best to stay and give him a lift home after initial treatment as oppose to burdening the ambulance service any further from taking him home. The last thing on my mind was paying for car parking. Had I thought about it then paying the reasonable charges would not have been an issue. Following prompt & efficient treatment we left about 1 hour later. A week later receive a PCN from Parking eye demanding £70 charge of breaching contract. This will be reduced to £40 if paid within 14 days. This is nothing short of day light robbery and disproportionate to any actual loss that may have been genuinely endured on behalf of the hospital. These are nothing short of taxing further hard pressed members of the public who are just trying to look after friends or family in their time of need.

Response from Wansbeck Hospital

Dear Graham Sorry to hear about your friend's motorbike accident - I can understand how concerned you must have been for him. I do hope he is doing ok now and that he got all the care and attention he needed in at Wansbeck Hospital. I'd really like to resolve this matter for you and wonder if you'd kindly get in touch with me directly at annie.laverty@nhct.nhs.uk so that I can help ? You should perhaps know that the Trust has listened to, and is concerned by, the many issues raised by patients and families, since the Parking Eye system was installed. As a result, we are entering into urgent discussions with Parking Eye Ltd to find a way of addressing these concerns and preventing any recurrence of the issues which have been reported to us. With best wishes, Annie

Response from Annie Laverty, Director of Patient Experience, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Dear Graham,

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Just to update you that the outcome of this. The Trust has made an important change and reached an agreement which will result in the termination of the management contract with Parking Eye on all Northumbria premises.

I hope this provides you with some assurance of our determination to listen and respond to the needs of our patients and the local people we serve.

With all best wishes,