"Thank God for the NHS"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

I underwent a sigmoidoscopy at QEQM yesterday. I came into contact with perhaps a dozen different members of your staff between reporting-in at reception and my final discharge. They were all courteous, friendly, understanding and efficient.. I was seen promptly with minimum hanging around and it is difficult to see any way in which the treatment I received could be improved. I wasn't surprised at the quality of my treatment. I am 75 and my wife is 71. Over the past twelve years, since we retired to this area, we have, between us, received out-patient treatment for various ailments and conditions, at all of your hospitals and my wife spent a few days as an in-patient at QEQM with a fractured hip. She was also treated at the mobile cataract clinic which used to visit St. Martins. I have twice received treatment for spinal problems as a day patient. I imagine that, between us, we have visited one or other of your hospitals well over one hundred times over the past twelve years. On no occasion have we had cause to criticise the treatment we have received. We invariably arrive early for appointments because one can never be sure of traffic conditions when trvelling from our home in Herne Bay. Often we are seen early. One one occasion I was back home in Herne Bay before my official appoint ment time at the Kent and Canterbury! Our only slight criticism is the problem of parking at all your hospitals. I am not very mobile and have a "Blue Badge". There are not enough disabled parking bays at any of your sites. Actually there are not enough parking spaces. I don't think parking fees should go into your general budget. They should be used to provide better and maybe multi-storey parking facilities. Anyway, apart from this small gripe, I'm more than pleased with the tratment my wife and I have received from your Trust. It's a pity that the media always pick-up on the things that occasionally go wrong in the NHI and fail to point out that most of the time the system works fine. Thank you.

Thank you very much for providing us with such fantastic feedback - we are very proud of our staff who do a great job. I am glad that that both you and your wife have found the service to be efficient and delivered by professional and kind staff.

I note your points on disabled parking bays and will raise this with our estates manager. Planning permission for multi-story parking has been problematic on the past, and so we have to find other ways of solving the problem.