"Surgery After Care"

About: Forth Valley Royal Hospital / Orthopaedics

I recently had athroscopic knee surgery. A couple of stitches needed removing, which was scheduled for 10 days after the surgery. I attended the local health centre to have this done by the nurse. Today, 2 weeks later, I have just removed 2-3 cm of stitch from one of the wounds. I had thought it was dried blood, but when trying to get rid of the few millimetres in view, I pulled a loop out, which kept coming. No idea if this would have caused a problem going forward, but not impressed at all.

Response from Arlian Mallis, Person Centred Health and Care Co-ordinator, Department of Nursing, NHS Forth Valley

Thanks for sending us this information, I hope you are recovering well from your surgery. There are two possibilities - it may be that there have been some internal sutures, which can over time work there way to the surface of the skin. The other alternative is that this suture has been overlooked during the removal. Can I suggest that you return to the surgery to have this looked over. In the meantime I will share your posting with our community teams. However it would be useful to know which health centre you attended so I can direct your feedback appropriately.

many thanks