"died alone"

About: Salford Royal

In october/november my uncle was admitted to the hospital with acute illness after many tests he was diagnosed with advanced terminal cancer. A phone call was made by a relative at 9.00 who was told that the doctors would be on the ward round at 11am to review my uncle who was unwell if they wanted to be there. At 10.45 they arrived on the ward to be told my uncle had died 15 minutes earlier, during the earlier phone call no urgency was made of the situation. The whole family have been left devastated with a legacy that he was alone despite having many relatives who would dearly have wanted to be with him. This upset is over and above the grief of the loss and so cruel yet easily avoided by better communication and respect of basic human kindness.

Response from Salford Royal

Firstly, please accept our condolences for the loss of your uncle. We would sincerely welcome the chance to look into the circumstances surrounding the communication with your family. I would therefore appreciate it if you could contact our PALS service (PALS@srft.nhs.uk) who will be able to work with the Bereavement Team and your family to address this.