"My treatment in Accident and Emergency in February..."

About: Moorfields Eye Hospital (City Road)

The Doctor seemed surprised when he called my name and I stood up. I am mixed race with an english name and I think he thought I would either have a more foreign sounding name because I was not white or with such an english sounding name would be white. He diagnosed me with blearitus and wrote eye hygiene as being one of the contributing factors. I told him I have bi-lateral sacriilitus and one of the symtoms of this condition is that my eyes can become inflamed - nothing to do with hygiene. I am an extremely clean individual and have been bullied on occasion for having too "high a standard" and for being "too clean" - so his diagnose hurt. I told him of my other condition but he still wrote down blearitus and eye hygiene -as if I didn't remove my eye make up properly. I do and my condition is due to one of the side effects of the bi-lateral sacriilitus - not from being dirty. I am a qualified Counsellor and grew up In Tunbridge Wells. I resented his assumption re: me due to assumed background and ethnicity. There were few patients present with English names and I tink he just lumped me in with the majority and assumed I was not from this Country and treated me accordingly.

Response from Moorfields Eye Hospital (City Road)

I'm sorry to hear that you felt that the doctor was making incorrect assumptions about you and will pass your comments on to the A&E team. It's always helpful to hear about patients' experiences, whether good or bad, as these can help us improve our services for others in future.