"Pathology for my daughter (Blood tests)"

About: Basildon University Hospital

Very disappointed with the care I was provided with at Basildon hospital Pathology department. My 15 year old daughter is petrified of needles and she has regular blood tests, and always gets the freeze spray which numbs the pain of the needles and overall helps her mental state with this stressful procedure. The nurse didn't have any in the room at the time and refused to get of her bottom and fetch some! To add to the distress of my daughter, she proceeded to tell her she wouldn't be allowed it next year anyway as she'll be 16.. This isn't true, I have relatives who are grown adults and have the freeze spray due to fear of needles. Very disappointed.

Response from Basildon University Hospital

We are very sorry to hear that you are not happy with the treatment your daughter received in the Pathology Department at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. We would like to thank you for drawing these issues to our attention and confirm they have been shared with the department concerned. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01268 394440 or at pals@btuh.nhs.uk. Thank you.