"Day treatment"

About: Addenbrooke's Hospital

A while back I was to have surgery and people were being made to walk in a surgical gown and no underwear through public areas to the operating theatre - I did not wish to do this as would find it embarrassing and would not maintain my dignity. My friend saw a woman in the public areas in a wheelchair in a theatre gown but showing her knickers - poor woman to have been left in this state. My surgery was cancelled (anaesthetist called away) but I before the rescheduled operation I was told that it is necessary for pre-op assessment to take place before an operation with a general anaesthetic can go ahead - I had none and am in poor health having asthma and kidney failure. I had to carry out my peritoneal dialysis and only had a consulting room to do this where no surface which could be made sterile (this is necessary). I was told to hang my dialysis bag on the door and was then hurt when someone came through the door. It was a shambles. Now they refuse to give me the name of my surgeon saying they don't know who will do it - it is 10 days away. The surgeon I saw last time I was told did not manage to complete the 2 operations similar to mine he had that day so I am concerned. They are also failing to give me performance data on this surgeon despite my repeatedly asking. I have been in touch with PALS but they appear to be ignoring me now. It's scary what can happen at Addenbrooke's.

Response from Carole Moderate, Interim PALS and Complaints Manager, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback. I have passed your comments regarding patient’s privacy and dignity to the senior clinical nurse for J3. In relation to your comments regarding a suitable place to undertake your peritoneal dialysis; we have spoken to the senior clinical nurse for J3 who has apologised and has confirmed that she has spoken to her staff about your experience. I understand that the SCN did ensure that arrangements were made for a suitable area and any necessary equipment to be available for you for your next visit.

In relation to your request for performance data for your surgeon, I am advised that you have been provided with the Freedom of Information email to enable us to deal with your request appropriately; I have also added it to my response foi.contact@addenbrookes.nhs.uk

I have spoken to the PALS Advisor and I understand that they have been corresponding with you via email prior to and since your posting.