"A rotten hospital with rotten staff"

About: Stepping Hill Hospital

My mother was in Stepping Hill hospital for two weeks, prior to her death there on 21/02/2014. For twelve days I was given no information at all about her condition, treatment or long-term prognosis. As a consequence I had no idea she was so unwell. Only when she became very ill did they decide to contact me, asking me come to the hospital urgently as her condition had suddenly deteriorated (this in spite of the fact that on my regular afternoon visit to her she seemed in reasonably good state and no one appeared at all concerned for her health). I arrived 15 minutes later to be told she had died. The fact that they left it until she was almost dead to contact me has left me devastated. Shame on you all.

Response from Cath Marsland, Head of Risk and Patient and Customer Services, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust

I am truly sorry that we failed to communicate with you regarding your mothers deterioration and would like to disucss this further with you. Please could you contact the Patient and Customer Services Team on 419 5678 or email pcs@stockport.nhs.uk as I would like to investigate further to ensure this doesn't happen again to someone else.

Response from Stepping Hill Hospital

I am very sorry to read about your experience and I offer my sincere condolences on your loss. Please contact the Patient and Customer Services department if you would like to discuss your concerns or if you would like us to investigate the issues you have raised. You can email using PCS@stockport.nhs.uk or telephone on 0161 419 5678. Mr Kieren Done Complaints and Customer Services Team Manager