"Emergency Visit"

About: Broomfield Hospital

My partner drove me to A & E at lunchtime on Wednesday 26th Feb, as I was experiencing severe stomach pains. Within 15 minutes of arriving I was seeing a member of medical staff, given pain relief. Various tests were taken and I was transferred to a side ward where duty staff continued to treat me and administer meds. Had to wait a few hours for a bed to become free in EAU but given how many people visit Broomfield, I have no complaints as I was kept warm and comfortable on the trolley. A CT scan was arranged by the Surgeon and carried out promptly. Back at EAU the Surgeon was waiting for me, gave his diagnosis and I was told I would be moved to Heybridge ward for an overnight stay. On the ward I was placed in an individual room with bathroom, where the staff were again brilliant and caring, meds administered and obs carried out regularly. From the time we arrived at A & E all staff (Receptionist, Porter, Health Care Assistants, Medical Staff) were absolutely brilliant, introducing themselves by their first name, which I found very reassuring, welcoming and personal, and shaking hands with my partner. The unit was constantly busy, but everyone was continually pleasant, kind, professional and reassuring, even though it was clear how tired some of them were. The NHS comes in for a lot of bad press but we need to highlight the positives more often.

Response from Broomfield Hospital

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, it's very pleasing to hear you had such a positive experience. I will pass your comments on to the departments involved.