"Cauda equina syndrome"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

I had a delay in getting an MRI scan done in a Lanarkshire hospital due to no MRI services being done from 5pm weekdays or at the weekend. I had to wait nearly a week for this. Loss of bladder and bowel control along with loss of sensation of left leg were reported at time of admission. The MRI showed a herniation at L4/L5 S1 with thickening of S1 nerve.

I feel the hospital staff need more awareness training on symptoms of this syndrome as not all staff are aware of red flag symptoms as is extremely rare. This needs to be addressed to stop further people suffering.

I think it would help avoid lasting damage if the condition could be treated more quickly. 2 years after my diagnosis I still have loss of sensation in limbs and have bladder and bowel issues.

Response from Shona Welton, Head of Patient Affairs, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Pussycat

I was really sorry to read about your experiences and about the situation you find yourself in now. I can't imagine how you must feel.

By coincidence one of our senior doctors is looking at cauda equina at the moment. If you would be willing to let me have your personal details I can ask that he looks at what happened to you too. Please give me a call on 01698 858094 - I hope you will feel able to contact me.