"Amazing staff and service at the William Harvey..."

About: William Harvey Hospital

I was unfortunately admitted to A&E on the 19th Feb 2014 after suffering a fit in Canterbury cathedral. Having had recent surgery for oesophageal cancer I was immediately given a CT scan of my brain which revealed a small lesion. Obviously I was devastated but the sympathy and kindness shown to me by many staff at the hospital was incredible and really helped me to rally and not lose faith and believe that I have a treatable condition. In doctors A&Ewere spectacularly sympathetic, helpful and communicative. They made me feel like a person who was being cared for and were and still are all massive sources of strength for me as I continue my journey through treatment. I would like to personally thank them all for everything that they did for me and my family and I hope that they know that they will never be forgotten. I was transferred to the Rotary Ward late on in the evening and the staff there were equally superb, sympathetic and kind. Two nurses were particularly inspirational, helping me again believe that treatment was possible and that they believed in me. This positive feeling is invaluable, especially to one on a treatment pathway as I've been on. Another nurse was also amazing and his dedication to his vocation is truly admirable. He made me feel cared for, and more importantly, loved which is a truly amazing gift to give to someone in a vulnerable position. I only hope that these people realise how much of an effect they really have on people's attitude and outlook. I'd also like to mention the oncology matron at the hospital who was again amazing. She co-ordinated my care with my oncologist in Southampton, and was helpful, communicative, caring, sympathetic, encouraging and loving throughout the whole experience. I really do feel like you have a wealth of amazing staff at the hospital there (despite some of the comments I heard from other people in A&E while I was there) and if there was more that I could do to commend them then I would. Everyone that I mentioned above deserves some credit for the job that they performed and I'd like them to realise that the amount that they made me and my family cared for, made a massive difference and is still a source of strength for us. I don't really know what else to say to be honest. Please do get the message to these people though that they're loved a lot by us here.

Sam, thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such fantastic feedback, I will make sure that staff are aware of how much you appreciated their time, expertise, and kindness. We are very proud of our teams, and they really do try to make a difference in providing safe and personalised care.

I wish you and your family all good wishes for your continued treatment.