"Experience of QMC and Sheila Gibson Unit"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Adult mental health (inpatient) Queen's Medical Centre

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

Posted for the patient by request

My experience of being in the QMC (Queens Medical Centre) to be treated for anxiety and depression was of no help to me. I had nothing to do from morning to night. I saw very little of any professional in many weeks.

On returning home I was fortunate in having help at home from Chrissie, a psychiatric nurse from The Sheila Gibson Unit. I speak very highly of her as she was very good to me in every sense and gave me the courage to move forward.

Prior to her visits I saw a psychiatrist whom I had seen occasionally in hospital. She was never of any help to me, totally lacking in any understanding of how ill I was, critical, unkind... in fact of no comfort whatsoever.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for sharing this. We are sorry to hear your experience of mental health care at QMC was not what you expected, but we are pleased to hear you had a more positive experience in the community.

All the mental health care at our hospital is run in partnership with Nottinghamshire Healthcare Trust, and if you would like to discuss any specific concerns about your treatment in further detail, you can contact their Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) by email at PALS@nottshc.nhs.uk.