"Finding out I had had miscarriage"

About: Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital / Maternity

Travelling to the hospital for my 12 week scan, I was kicking myself for being late. Luckily we made it on time and we were seen quickly. The news wasn't good the baby had died at 8+6. We had to have the death confirmed by another midwife, and what felt like hours was only a few minutes we heard once again our baby had died. We were ushered into another room to talk through everything through. They explained how fluid was seen on the babies abdomen and neck, which was a clear sign that something was wrong. After talking it though we were sent to another hospital (Stevenage EPU) 30 minutes away where we meet with more midwives and doctors.

I decided I wanted a ERPC and we were offered genetic testing, which we took. We were left in the room for hours and all I wanted was to go home. We eventually left and got on with telling everyone the news. I was booked in to have the op next week and all the staff were lovely. Especially the nurses who looked after me in recovery.

After it was over we waited 2 months for the results, we received a message saying it may have been hereditary to what killed the baby, such a shock. It lead us to genetic testing ourselves. It took 10 weeks to get the results. Which weren't the best, but won't affect future children.

Now we are looking to the future and hope the surprise baby makes it.

Response from Peter Gibson, Associate director, public affairs, East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust

Thank you so much for sharing with us what happened to you recently. You're right that from tragedy often springs hope, which is why we very much hope that both you and your partner get the baby you clearly want so much. Having a miscarriage is awful, so we're glad that you felt that the midwifery team at our early pregnancy unit at the Lister hospital looked after you so well at what will have been a horrible time in your life. Fingers crossed for the future.