"How long does a biopsy result take?"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / General Surgery NHS Lanarkshire

(as a parent/guardian),

For months it is strongly suspected my son has coeliac disease. After waiting 3 weeks for blood test results, 12 weeks for a consultation then a further 4 weeks for a biopsy, we are still waiting for the result another 4 weeks down the line. I was informed if there had been no word in 3 weeks to call the GP. I did and they had the same results I had been given on the day - no biopsy result. I realise waiting lists exist and the condition is not life threatening but my son is 14. He is missing out on school too often and in general the quality of life as he is not well enough most days to participate fully in "normal" day to day activity. Did I mention his ill health has been affecting him since two years and from August 2012 it took 10 months to get to the right tests being done at all. How long does a biopsy result take?

Response from Rosemary Lyness, Executive Clinical Director, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear anxious parent

I am very sorry that find yourself in this position I cannot be specific without more detail.

Could I ask please that you ring Michelle Nobes Hospital patient affairs manager tomorrow. She will take your details and come back

To you quickly. She is contactable via the Hospital switchboard.

I hope that this is helpful and assure you we will do our best to get up to date information.

I hope that your son's health improves

Rosemary Lyness