"Blood Donation"

About: Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service

Having been my first time donating blood I was slightly apprehensive towards the whole process. I arrived having not eaten enough beforehand and was cared for and given lots of biscuits and juice. From afar the process of lying back in the chair and waiting 7 minutes for you to be drained look quite a boring and anxious experience.

However I am still amazed at how much I enjoyed myself. I was looked after by two or three nurses who kept me chuckling throughout the process and made sure I was doing just fine. Before I knew it the process was over and the apprehension beforehand seemed utterly pointless.

I cannot praise the staff who were there on the day enough, they were caring, thoughtful, very funny and looked like they really enjoyed their job. I will surely be back to donate more blood, because it is such a pleasant experience!

Response from NHS National Services Scotland

Hi Nacho

Thank you so much for your positive feedback about giving blood. We are very glad you found it a rewarding and relaxing experience. You must leave 12 weeks in between donations, so we look forward to welcoming you back soon. The patients who receive your blood cannot thank you personally. So on their behalf - thank you!

Dr Moira Carter