"Helped greatly by the professionalism and caring of the staff involved"

About: East Surrey Hospital / General medicine

I had a colonoscopy last week at East Surrey Hospital. As I had never had this procedure done before I was naturally very apprehensive. I felt that the whole procedure was carried out with care and dignity and everything was fully explained to me.

One nurse in particular. I think her name is Helen. She is a New Zealander was very informative and supportive to my feelings. The suite itself was immaculately clean and even down to the sandwich I was offered afterwards in recovery, the service provided was excellent, including the literature sent before my appt and the explanation re pre medication.

All in all what was not a very pleasant procedure was helped greatly by the professionalism and caring of the staff involved.

Response from Ben Mearns, Chief of Medicine, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Tilley

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. I will pass them on to the Clinical Lead for Surgery who leads on endoscopy. I am certain that he will want to identify "Helen from New Zealand" and let her know how helpful she was.

Once again thanks for thinking of us and I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Dr Ben Mearns

Clinical Lead for Acute & Elderly Medicine

Update posted by Tilley (the patient)

You are most welcome, I hope the feedback I gave helps to reassure other people who may have the procedure, that they are in 'good hands'!

The unassuming efforts of staff are not always readily recognised so I hope that to receive positive comments makes them feel appreciated!