"Poor communication between primary and secondary care"

About: King's College Hospital (Denmark Hill) / Clinical haematology

I was finding it difficult to get to the Anticoagulation Clinic, so switched my approach to having my local health centre in Surbiton take my blood and send it with my yellow book to the clinic for dosage checking.

Out of the blue I receive the following letter from a consultant:

"Our computer records show that you have failed to keep 3 appointments for the Anticoagulation Clinic. It is dangerous for you to remain on warfarin without the necessary checks. I have written to your GP today, advising him/her to stop supplying you with warfarin unless you have your blood checked."

Now, 1 - I have my blood taken by the surgery; 2 - threatening to stop my warfarin, given my polycythemia, and the 3 DVTs I have had would be dangerous for me and seems a ludicrous threat to issue.

Response from Cathy Varley, PALS Manager, King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Dear patient, I am very sorry that you have received this letter when you have transferred your anti coagulation management to another centre. It appears that Kings may have been unaware that this had taken place and I do not know how such a breakdown in communication occurred. If you would like to contact me directly so that I can investigate and correct the problem please do not hesitate to contact me. My contact details are cathy.varley@nhs.net or the PALS office on 0203 299 3601