"Unacceptable the way my mum has been treated"

About: Crawley Hospital / Gynaecology East Surrey Hospital / General surgery

Absolutely appalled with how my mum has been treated. she has cancer with an unknown primary but been brought to east surrey with supposed constipation.

Information has been conflicting and has been given to her in a very direct and disgusting manor I feel without a family member being present.

She says they've told her it's going to kill her etc and nurses have been overheard talking about her in the corridor saying it's not good is completely unacceptable. She is still on the ward I'm with her waiting for the doctor to return.

Response from Ben Mearns, Chief of Medicine, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Tinkbutterfly

I'm very sorry to hear your comments and that your mother feels communication has been so bad. We clearly need to sort this out urgently.

If you would like to email me your details I will arrange for a doctor to speak with you urgently. If you would prefer to speak to someone via telephone then I would suggest contacting the PALS (Patient advice and liaison service) office via the switchboard as soon as you can.

If you prefer the ward itself then please do speak with the ward manager who should be able to put you in contact with the relevant person quickly.

Dr Ben Mearns

Clinical Lead for Acute & Elderly Medicine

ben.mearns@sash.nhs.uk

Dear Tinkbutterfly

Thank you for making contact via email. I hope that you have now had all of your concerns addressed and please do let me know if there is anything further that I can do.

Kindest regards