"Staff helpfulness for families"

About: Maidstone District General Hospital

Attempting to contact my father who was apparently on Mercer ward only to be told he was on Whatman ward. I know that he was in bay D off of Mercer ward as I had visited him three times however the staff on Mercer ward were very unhelpful seeing as he was around the corner from their desk - hardly a 10 second walk and told me to ring Whatman ward ( no offer of transferring the call ) I know everybody is busy but this was on a Sunday ( not the busiest day of the week ) Eventually after several more calls the switchboard managed to connect me to Whatman ward where the staff were very helpful - Full praise to them. I fully support our NHS staff and know they do a very demanding job however there was no need for this unhelpfulness in the first place. Call made at midday on Sunday the 9th February 2014.

Response from Maidstone District General Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We were very disappointed to learn that you encountered difficulty when trying to contact your father during his admission to Maidstone Hospital. We have passed your comments on to the ward manager and matron for their attention. We hope that any future contact you have with the Trust goes smoothly, but if you require any further assistance in this matter, you are welcome to contact the PALS Team on 01622 224960 or email mtwpals@nhs.net. Kind regards, The PALS Team.