"Clinic appt & Goldman tests."

About: Queen's Medical Centre

At 10.30am 4/02/2014 I had an appointment for a Goldman Fieldview Test and at 11.30 the very same day I had an appointment to see the Professor's Eye Clinic. I arrived in plenty of time and presented myself at the reception desk, the receptionist took my details and told me to wait in a certain area and to sit on a beige coloured chair. After waiting 45 minutes I noticed that people that arrived after me were being called in for testing by clinical technicians. I went back to the reception desk and asked why this was happening, a dumbfounded woman told me mistakes happen, what mistake has happened I asked? she then told me that my notes were put in the wrong pile and that's why I hadn't been seen. She then told me she didn't know who'd done it so couldn't give me a reason why, I then reminded her that it was she that had taken my details upon arrival so perhaps it was her, she just shrugged her shoulders and said they were doing their best. I told her that her that perhaps her best wasn't good enough. After my Goldman Test had taken place (lady undertook this and was fantastic) I then had to wait in area C, my appointment was for 11.30am.... At 1.25pm I was still waiting to see the Professor, my wife and I couldn't wait any longer so we made the decision to leave. At 2pm I had to meet builders and an architect and I wasn't prepared to miss an appointment that I had made! Far too many people were at the clinic to possibly be seen on time, a nurse told me that this problem happens every week! she also told me that the reception staff were making too many mistakes with patients notes and what happened to me was now common place, oh dear.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry to hear you were unhappy with the waiting time for your appointment and the way you felt this was handled by the receptionist you dealt with. I am also glad to hear that you felt your Goldman Test itself was carried out well. I will be looking into the concerns you raise about the waiting times and the handling of information, and if you would like to discuss this matter further with me, I would be glad to hear from you; please contact me by email at joan.black@nuh.nhs.uk.

Joan Black