"A big disappointment"

About: University College Hospital

After taking time ,and being recommended as the best hospital for my operation I opted for UCL. Travel to the hospital is a 4 hour trip from where I live, and after two pre-op consultations I was booked in for the 31st January. We were told to arrive at 7am... Which we did .The surgical ward was full to capacity and approx 50 + names on the board all for different Surgeons.. I spoke with the Anaesthetist and Consultant and was advised I was last on the list. At 12 o'clock I was given a bag with all my bits in gown , etc and advised I was next , approx 1.5 -2hours. At 4pm I I checked again, I felt I had been patient, only to be told they had only just taken the lady before me down and it would be another 2-2.5 hours. At 6.25 conscious that the unit closed at 7pm and being the only person left on the board not to have been taken for their op, I was told to go home as it would not be done today !!!!! Tired , starving and emotional, we started our journey home. If I hadn't have asked would they just have left me sitting there till the unit closed ? To say that my expectations weren't met is probably an understatement . I would like to point out that the nurse who sent me home, could not have been nicer, she was lovely. To say I am disappointed, annoyed and upset is an understatement, ring Monday I was told., well I will be ringing Monday . I understand that people have complications and things take longer than expected, but at least have the courtesy to tell me , not leave me waiting. Would I recommend UCL ? No !

Response from University College Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to feed back to us. We are extremely sorry to hear about your experience with our gynaecology department. We would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) via pals@uclh.nhs.uk or by calling 0845 155 5000 ext 73042 so that we can investigate this matter further.