"Cataract Surgery treatment overdue"

About: Bristol Eye Hospital

My husband was referred for Cataract surgery on his right eye by the Bristol Eye Hospital in September 2013. He had the pre-op assessment approx 4 weeks later 17 October 2013, and we were advised the surgery would take place within or by 18 weeks max from the September date. We are still waiting. In the interim, his other eye has now deteriorated so much that he cannot work or drive, and impacts every aspect of daily life. I have been advised that it is due "any time now", but despite letters from our GP, and the Optician, and also requesting assistance from the patients support group nothing is happening. Today I have received contradictory information from every source involved, about both eyes, and find the situation beyond belief that such confusion should reign. Please do something, now, someone needs to take ownership of this. I know the NHS is fantastic when you get the care, but the lack of empathy or order beggars belief. I am hoping we are not typical of the system.

Response from Bristol Eye Hospital

Thank you for your comment. We are sorry to hear about your experience and will pass this on to the team at the Bristol Eye Hospital. We would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Support & Complaints Team (telephone: 0117 342 3604 or email: pals@uhbristol.nhs.uk) so that we can look into and resolve your concerns.