"Worried about district nurse staffing levels"

About: Epsom Clinic

My mother receives care from the District Nurses in Epsom. She has long standing leg ulcers and the care the staff provide is excellent.

However there are just too few staff, they are always rushed and under pressure to go to their next patient.

I worry this is only going to get worse as the nurses tell me their numbers are being cut again.

I have looked on the website and see there are two people in charge, perhaps the cuts should come from there rather than the wonderful nurses.

Response from Central Surrey Health We are preparing to make a change

Dear Bwest,

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you are finding the care provided by the Epsom District Nurses to be so good.

Regarding staffing, please be assured there are no planned cuts to staffing levels in the Epsom District Nursing team, and that our community nursing teams are in fact going to receive additional investment in coming months. For example, there will be an expanded team of healthcare assistants who will support the district nursing teams by taking routine blood samples. This investment in our community nursing teams is something that we and our Commissioners (Surrey Downs CCG) have been working really hard on since last year so we can better meet patients’ needs.

Within the Epsom team specifically we are actually increasing staffing by recruiting an additional nurse and increasing the healthcare assistant resource. However, your feedback suggests that perhaps not everyone on the team understands this, so the team leader is going to have a catch up with them to ensure these changes are fully understood.

I hope this helps to reassure you, and thank you again for your feedback.

Yours sincerely,