"I liked my small bay which had ..."

About: Heartlands Hospital

I liked my small bay which had 6 women in it.I liked being able to order what I'd like to eat about 10 mins before it was served. The staff were very pleasant. I didn't need much attention but when I did I got it.

The other ladies in my bay were elderly and they often had to wait a while for their calls to be answered. The food selection was often poor; I cant see how the patients could receive 5 fruit/veg per day.It seems a shame that beds were taken and then the hospital wasn't ready to cope with the op' (in my case a plate had to be ordered). I would like to have had a debriefing after the op'. I didn't have any feeling in my finger and consequently was kept in overnight only to be told the next day I'd been given anaesthetic to do that..This means I could have been discharged a day earlier had communication been better.

Response from Heartlands Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. You are absolutely right that communication on the wards is crucial and specifics relating to an individual patient’s condition are entered by medical staff onto the medical notes located at the end of each bed. We will only discharge patients once we are absolutely certain they have stabilised and are able to cope in their home environment. Occasionally this means an extra night in hospital but please rest assured we only have the best interests of our patients in mind.

In response to your other comment; We do offer our patients a variety of foods to try and suit all tastes that are nutritionally balanced and appetising. However, we do appreciate it is virtually impossible to cater for all tastes and do invite patients to give us feedback on their experiences when they are on the ward.