"patient care wonderful/parking fine £70!"

About: North Tyneside General Hospital

Was visiting daughter in law - first vist to this hospital, had trouble finding out how to use ticket machine, so it took us 15mins to secure a ticket which we thought would cover us for the duration of 1 hours visiting. Paid £1.20 for an hour and lost 60p trying to get the ticket so £1.80 in all. Was shocked to receive a fine of £70 in the post a week later. My husband and I are retired so not very good with new technology and had not come across these machines before where you have to put in your reg first before the money.hence time it took to get the ticket. we thought the hour would be from what was printed on the ticket. Because the patient we went to see was very upset and traumatised by her accident we stayed til the bell rang for end of visiting to support her, making us 2 minutes late by the time we got back to the car, but did not give that a thought as we were concerned about our family members health. We think the "parking eye" parking management is not appropriate for an establishment such as a hospital, where the visitors are concerned about the welfare of the patient, and are not aware that they are being preyed on by hard hearted and mercenary businesses such as "Parking Eye". We have complained to Appeals Dept, (on back of fine notice) with a copy of the parking ticket and await their reply. It has taken me all morning to compose the letter, write this review and also go out to get stamps and photocopies - I wonder what price they would put on my mornings work!

Response from North Tyneside General Hospital

Dear Pat, I am so sorry that you have been sent a fine under these circumstances and whilst I am really grateful that you did get in touch, I am also sorry that you have had the inconvenience of having to devote a morning's work to making an appeal. I would very much like to help you with this and feel sure I will be able to rectify things for you . Please do get in touch with me - my email is annie.laverty@nhct.nhs.uk - I will just need a few details from you in order to take this forward on your behalf. Thank you for your kind comments on the quality of clinical care received, I am only sorry your first impression of our hospital has been marred somewhat by your experience with parking. I hope your friend is recovering well from the trauma of her accident. With kind regards, Annie

Response from Annie Laverty, Director of Patient Experience, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Dear Pat,

Just to update you that the outcome of this. The Trust has made an important change and reached an agreement which will result in the termination of the management contract with Parking Eye on all Northumbria premises.

I hope this provides you with some assurance of our determination to listen and respond to the needs of our patients and the local people we serve.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

With all best wishes,