"Ward 8 Good Hope Hospital"
About: Good Hope Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics Good Hope Hospital Trauma & orthopaedics Sutton Coldfield B75 7RR
Posted by care from afar (as ),
1. Mum escorted to toilet but left for 45 minutes unable to move and with no lighting (presumably switches off automatically after a period of time if no movement). Had to shout for someone to come and help her.
2. Painkillers offered but not received.
3. Wound left open for 2 hours before being re-dressed
4. Following session with physio, left at toilet with no assistance and wheelchair removed. Had to shout for help.
5. Poor communication between staff and patient - firstly told she would be going to rehabilitation unit on Thursday afternoon but when I arrived to visit on Friday afternoon she was sitting in the chair still waiting to go and nobody had told her she was not going and that the bed had been given to someone else. Again, one day this week she told she was going to rehab that afternoon but I was called at 9: 15 pm to say that an ambulance was not available so she would not be going again. Eventually left the ward at 10: 15 am today to transfer to Perry Trees.
Having read the previous CQC inspection report I noted that ward 8 of the Richard Salt Unit had had a bad report but things had supposedly improved. Based on my mother's experiences, this does not appear to be the case. Lots of staff around but seem to spend a lot of time chatting at the nurses station. On two occasions a screen detailing patients on the entire ward was on public display. Once a member of staff came along and switched it off saying that I shouldn't be looking at that. The second time was on view the entire time I was visiting my mother (ie two hours)