"Visit to Accident and Emergency."

About: Scarborough General Hospital

I have twice before had pneumonia, and been in a poor state as a result. Perhaps three days ago l caught a cold, with an attendant cough, this developed into a congested lung, with the usual hoiking up of horrible green stuff. The only medication l take is Methotrexate, and Enbrel, to treat rheumatoid arthritis, this reduces your immune system, and rightly, or wrongly, l felt that left to its own devices, this may well turn into another bout of pneumonia. Just to add weight to this theory, on Sunday afternoon l felt slightly dizzy, on a couple of occasions. I phoned the hospital A and E, and was told by a pleasant lady on reception, to go up and be seen by a Doctor. I arrived at about 6pm. and the receptionist took my details. l was most impressed by the splendid facilities, and sparkling cleanliness. Pity there was nothing to read. After perhaps 20 min. l was seen by the Sister, she took my blood pressure, made some notes, and said that she would endeavour to get an in house GP to see me. I was led off to a very swish partitioned ward, and within five minutes, the doctor, came to see me. I reiterated my tale of woe to them, who agreed that it was best to err on the side of caution, and prescribed a course of antibiotics. Ten minutes later l picked these up from the Falsgrave Pharmacy. I would very much like to thank all concerned for there skilful and professional conduct, and for making a stressful situation perfectly tolerable. Please convey my thanks to all concerned, and well done to all of you. .

Response from Scarborough General Hospital

Thank you very much for your posting. Your comments have been passed to the teams concerned. We are pleased that your visit to us was very positive; our aim is to provide a high standard of service which reflects the needs of patients.