"My husband had a collapse on the I of Wight ferry and was unconscious for approx 30 mins"

About: Devon, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Isle of Wight Ambulance Service St Mary's Hospital

An ambulance was called and he was taken to A&E at St, Mary's, Newport. The paramedic thought it was probably a stroke and assured me there was a dedicated clinic. It was a Sunday, there wasn't a clinic so we missed the 'golden hour' and after about two hours in A&E we were released, both in our 70s to a hotel alone. I then drove home to Cornwall 48 hours later when we both felt a little calmer and took the A&E letter to our GP at since when the care has been faultless. It has finally been diagnosed 4 months later as a heart attack and he now awaits an angiogram. I feel that if St Mary's had offered the correct diagnosis that day we would by now have resolved the whole situation

Response from Patient Experience Lead, Isle of Wight NHS Trust

Dear Maridadi

Response from St Mary's Hospital

I was very sorry to hear that your experience of St Mary's Newport did not meet the Trust or your expectations; and that your husband is requiring further care and treatment, which I hope is progressing well. Your comments have been shared with the relevant clinical managers in A&E, Ambulance and Stroke Services. It may help if I explain that the pathway for a suspected stroke always starts in the Emergency Department to allow for prompt tests. If all the tests required for the symptoms are undertaken and are felt to be within normal limits it is normal process that patients do not require a hospital admission and can be appropriately managed as an outpatient. Without knowing your husbands details it is not possible to look into the individual case, however, I would be more than happy to review this in more detail to ensure that lessons are learnt and provide you with personal feedback. If you have not already done so I would encourage you to contact the Quality Team on 01983 534850 who can ensure that your husbands individual case is reviewed and concerns addressed. Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and once again apologies that your experience of St Mary's Hospital was not a positive one and I wish your husband a speedy recovery.