"Help for breastfeeding"

About: Sherwood West Children's Centre

My health visitor referred me to a health improvement practioner as my premature baby wasnt gaining enough weight. I had a home visit and found her advice very overwelming and felt under a lot of pressure. The extra work she suggested just wasnt do able and I was left feeling tearful and disillusioned about breastfeeding my baby. She also was very personal about making a comment about my breast size which I thought was unprofessional and inappropriate.

If it hadn't been for Rainworth Sure Start breast feeding support group then I would have given up on feeding my baby.

Response from Karon Foulkes, General Manager, Sure Start, Health Partnerships - Nottinghamshire Healthcare

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad the Sure Start Childrens' Centre support group was able to help you through your difficult time. Many of our breastfeeding groups are run with volunteer breastfeeding peer supporters recruited through the Childrens Centre and we work closely with the health teams to promote breast feeding together.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the health improvement practitioner. I will speak to those responsible for that service to see what we can learn from your comments and do different in future. If you would like any different action taken please email me at karon.foulkes@nottshc.nhs.uk or speak to a member of staff at Sure Start.