"Admiission to Minor Injuries via 999 with..."

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital

On 23/12/12 I started to experience breathing problems due to underlying Motor Neurone Disease symptoms and a possible reaction to medication. After hours of suffering at home due to the weather I reluctantly called 111 who in turn transferred my call to 999. I was hardly able to speak and breath and was assessed and agreed to go to a hospital (Canterbury) being the nearest considering the storms the early hours of Xmas Eve. On arrival I was handed over verbally to staff, where I was placed in the furthest cubicle tucked away next to a draughty door. The bed had a sheet thrown on it and nothing more. I overheard the Nurse in charge talk about me to a colleague saying, "It's probably his BiPAP", which was not the case had she bothered to speak to me although I was struggling breathing and talking she would have realised I was suffering episodes of laryngospasms resulting in air hunger and panic! I was dismissed out of hand and left for a considerable amount of time before a nurse took my observations and blood and then promptly left. I was admitted at just after 3 am and not seen again until 0640 am, where a doctor assessed me by which time I had improved as the medication I had taken 8 hours earlier had worn off, however, during the period I had struggled to maintain my breathing I was unable to sleep as I had no bipap and would have gone into a laryngospasm without it. Disgraceful care! I asked for a drink and was barked at "had I been seen by a doctor", which I pointed out I hadn't although this must have been obvious I hadn't. it wasn't a busy department and in the time I was there I was the last person to be seen by anyone yet probably the most urgent as I was suffering breathing difficulties with Motor Neurone Disease! It got worse! My wife came in to join me as I we were ushered round to CDU as it was nearing their home time or handover and the nurse said, "i need him out of here"...nice! Of course I am sure like all records it would show that I was monitored in the 3 and half hours in the care of the nursing team?? Not once! I was taken to an empty room told that the bed had been taken to the ward now well past 7 am and on the floor a used cotton ball and hand gel on the floor, medical bits left in the crevice of the chair. My wife removed them with a paper hand towel and wiped the seat with alcohol gel, which came off discoloured! So much for a high standard of cleanliness!! Then 'Mr Bah Humbug' wearing hat came in with a bed and promptly left...so much for the xmas cheer! The registrar who with the greatest respect English was clearly not his first language and had difficulty understanding the word, "sublingual". He decided to examine me and pulling my outer garments instead of asking me to remove them. I had to wear including a coat all night as I was so cold in the previous department. I wasn't impressed with him overall and clearly a lack of understanding to my condition.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Julie Pearce, Chief Nurse + Director of Quality + Operations, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking time to feedback about your experience and treatment. We really appreciate feedback and use this to improve the care we provide. I am sorry to read about your experience which does not reflect the standard of care we aim to provide. Please do email me on Julie.pearce1@nhs.net and we will follow through your concerns.

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story